Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


School Offer


Most Recent Review Date: September 2020

Updates:  May 2015, November 2015, January 2016, January 2017, November 2017, September 2018, September 2019, September 2020

To be Reviewed By: September 2021

We are committed to providing an excellent education for our children, whatever their need.  We acknowledge that the partnership between school and parents is an essential part of a successful education, ensuring that all children reach their full potential.

This school offer sets out the support and services that are available to children with special educational needs and disabilities at our school and how we will work with you to ensure that your child receives the best possible education.

If you have any questions about our school, please feel free to contact either Mrs Rebecca Chapman (Head teacher) or Mrs Sally Wright (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-coordinator) on 01335 324337 or info@norbury.derbyshire.sch.uk.  We always welcome visitors at Norbury School!

Who are the best people to talk to in school about my child’s difficulties with learning, Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

Class teacher

The first person you should speak to is your child’s class teacher.  The class teacher is responsible for:

  • Monitoring the progress of your child.
  • Identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need.
  • Liaising with the SENDCO to identify areas for support and resources needed.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and sharing and reviewing these with parents and children, at least three times yearly.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child understand the support needed and how to provide it.
  • Liaising with other professionals, such as SSSEN support staff working with pupils with Autism, or speech and language therapists.
  • Ensuring that the schools SEND policy is followed in their classroom.

Class teachers at Norbury C of E Primary School are:

  • EYFS/ Year 1 – Sally Wright and Sue Brunt
  • Y2/3 – Naomi Beckett
  • Y4/5/6 – Rebecca Chapman and Nicky Woods


The SENDCo is responsible for co-ordinating provision for SEND children throughout the school.

Our SENDCo is Mrs Sally Wright.  She can be contacted within school hours on 01335 324337 or by email at sally.wright@norbury.derbyshire.sch.uk .

Head teacher

The Head teacher is responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school including the support for children with SEND.
  • Overseeing the role of the SENDCO and the classroom teacher in ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • Informing the governing body about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

Our Head teacher is Mrs Rebecca Chapman.  She can be contacted within school hours on 01335 324337 or headteacher@norbury.derbyshire.sch.uk .

SEN Governor

The SEN governor is responsible for:

  • Ensuring, through Head teacher delegation, that all teachers are aware of the importance of provision for pupils with SEND.
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school with SEND.
  • Staying up to date with changes in legislation and practice, by meeting with the SENDCO.

The named governor for SEND for Norbury C of E Primary School is Rev Carollyn McDonald.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Norbury C of E Primary School?

We believe that “every teacher is a teacher of every child” and place a great emphasis on quality first, excellent, classroom teaching.  Dependent on individual need, there are other forms of additional support that may be accessed for your child.

Excellent Targeted Classroom Teaching within the Classroom (and outdoors!)

This is known as ‘Quality First Teaching’ and follows the principle of

‘Every Teacher A Teacher of Every Child’.

For your child this would mean:

  • High expectations for your child and all pupils in the class.
  • Teaching based on continuing formative assessment, finding out where your child is and planning the next achievable step.
  • Active learning that stimulates visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners within the class (children who learn by seeing, hearing and doing).
  • Careful monitoring and assessment to track your child’s progress, as well as any areas where they may need extra help.
  • Planning for the delivery of specific strategies suggested by the SENDCO or other professionals.
  • Learning opportunities, which are engaging, and fun, as well as opportunities to learn outdoors.
  • Regular access to Forest School.

Focused Small Group Work

For your child this would mean:

  • Focused small group work within the classroom, supported by the class teacher.
  • Focused small group work within the classroom supported by a teaching assistant.
  • Focused small group work outside the classroom (intervention or prevention groups).

These groups may be taught by a variety of people including the classroom teacher, SENDCo, teaching assistants or professionals from other agencies, such as speech therapists.

This type of support is also available to any child who has gaps in their learning or is in need of extra support.

Specialist Sessions Run by Outside Agencies

Your child may have been identified as having needs that require some specialist support in school from a visiting professional.  Depending on your child’s needs, this may include support from various organisations including the Derbyshire Support Service for Special Educational needs (SSSEN), speech and language therapists, or occupational therapy. This type of support may be put in place in response to particular worries you may have about your child.

For you this would mean:

  • You would be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional in order to best understand your child’s needs.

For your child this would mean:

  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations. This may be within the class or on a one to one basis.
  • Targets are set for your child following the advice of the specialist professional.
  • Your child would receive targeted support in the classroom and also on a one to one basis. This may be delivered by a specialist, or by school staff supported by the guidance of specialist professionals.

School staff will always discuss the support and strategies we are using with you. We will also let you know who is working with your child.

This type of support is provided for children who have particular needs that cannot be met through quality first teaching and intervention.

Specified Individual Support:

If your child has been identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support they may be referred to the local authority for more formal assessment. This may lead to your child being given an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This document is compiled in collaboration with you, the school and outside, specialist agencies and is designed to provide your child with the specific targeted support they need to make the best possible progress.

For you this would mean:

  • You may be asked to write a report outlining your child’s needs.
  • Providing the Local Authority with all the information they need to decide whether your child’s needs require a statutory assessment. This may include medical records, evidence from school, evidence from outside agencies and where appropriate evidence from social care.
  • Entering into a legal process that will set out the support that will be provided for your child.

When the Local Authority have looked at all the evidence they will decide if your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to need a Statement of Special Educational Needs or a EHC plan or if they can continue to be supported by the school.

If your child is given an Education, Health Care Plan this will mean:

  • Specialists in the local authority will give them very specific targets.
  • Your child will receive a specified number of hours of support. This may be within the class, in withdrawal groups or on a one to one basis and may be provided by staff in school or outside specialists.
  • In some cases an additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning.

This type of support is available for children whose needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child?

The partnership between parents and school is crucial in ensuring your child makes progress and fulfills their potential.We monitor the progress of all the children in our school very carefully and use thorough formative assessment to identify the next steps in learning. We share this with parents in a number of ways including Home School Link Books and Reading Diaries, parent’s evenings and end of year reports.

If we have a specific concern about your child we will request a meeting with you as soon as possible. If you have a concern you are always welcome to make an appointment to talk to the class teacher, the SENDCo or the Head.

How is extra support allocated?

  • The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Head teacher decides on the budget allocation in consultation with the school governors and on the basis of needs within school.
  • In collaboration with the SENDCo and class teachers, the Head teacher will decide what resources, training and support are needed. This is reviewed regularly and changes are made where necessary.

Who are the other people providing SEND support at Norbury C of E Primary School?

The following professionals and agencies are available to provide support in school where it has been deemed necessary.

  • Derbyshire Support Service for Special Education needs (SSSEN)

Currently Ms Joanne Bennett works with children in our school.

  • School nurse

The school nurse visits our children when they start school in EYFS, and her support can also be accessed for any medical issues or advice during your child’s time with us.

  • Specialist Teacher for Physical Impairment.

Anna Mahoney supports children with physical impairments at our school, providing specialist advice, training for staff and support for individual pupils.

  • Occupational therapy/ Physiotherapy

Melanie Bruder works with children with specific physical needs.  We are able to plan for additional time during school hours if your child needs to follow a specific physiotherapy programme.

  • Speech and language therapy

We are able to seek support from speech and language services, and can also refer your child if there are ongoing concerns shared by teachers and parents. Alison Wainwright and Sally Phillips are currently supporting children at our school.

  • Physiotherapy
  • Educational psychology

Naomi Anderson visits our school at least twice a year to discuss planning and support for individual children.

  • Services for children with visual or hearing needs

We are an inclusive school and aim to support every child in fulfilling their potential.  Get in touch if you would like to know more!