Chapter Four – Journey to the River Sea
Read Chapter 4 to a grown up. It is fine if a grown up reads this to you. Discuss and answer the following questions:
- How did Mrs. Carter react to the news of Maia not being able to keep up with school work ? Why do you think she reacted like that?
- What did Maia learn about Brazil, from reading books?
- Why do you think Maia enjoyed learning on her own?
- Describe Mr. Carter’s room.
- What was Mr. Carter examining on his table?
- What does Mr. Carter say on page 52 that tells us as readers how he feels about his collection?
- What is an ‘igape’ and what did the Indians use them for?
- Describe a few of the horrible things that the twins did to Maia.
- What adjectives does the author use to describe what Maia saw in Manaus?
- What different nationalities of people had lived in Brazil over different centuries?
- Was Maia a good dancer?
- What were the two men described as ‘crows’ looking for?
- What were a few of the things Maia saw in the National History Museum?
- What had Mr . Taverner worked as?
- Why was Maia not getting a ticket for the show?